Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Gourd Sculpture Part 2

The Apoxie Clay is a two part polymer resin clay that air dries rock solid. It's a very heavy clay, but is great for connections, cementing or attaching difficult pieces. After combining Part A with Part B, you have a limited amount of time to work with it as it starts to stiffen and, depending on size, can be hard in five minutes and cement in 20.
I used masking tape to cover the wire and then doll tape to smooth it out.
I covered the arms and head with Paperclay.....what a mess. I'm leaving the face "rough". She looks weathered, but happy (like me).
I covered the small gourd with Delight air dry polymer clay. I'm letting all this dry and will paint the gourd and add the headpiece next. Continued......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marlene, you just about became a part of that sculpture with your hands all covered. I love her face rough also, and the way she's holding a vessel nestled into the space created by the gourd's shape. I cannot wait to see the end version. Thanks for the process photos!

Lupe Meter said...

I too can't wait!! Hurry up!

Unknown said...

Me encanta aprender

Unknown said...

Very interested in your projects !