Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Polymer Clay Sculpture

I started with sculpting the aluminum foil armature and making sure I had the "hanging" holes placed far enough in. I reinforced the hole area with wire that was hooked on the ends so it would not come out of the polymer clay after it was cured. Then I applied the polymer clay in layers; baking each layer. I added liquid polymer clay each time I added another layer and baked. I always made sure to leave my wall hanging holes open. I finger painted the darker brown polymer clay to add emphasis and definition. I used Kemper tool punches (the small squares and small circles) to add the texture to his skin and add interest. I glued a soft piece of suede in the hanging holes to reduce the tension of the wire hanger. Placed the wire through the hanging holes and twisted a hanging loop in the middle; filing any sharp edges.
I had the horns and fur in my stash of "things I'll use someday" and epoxied them on. I had bought the rabbit skin at a western pioneer show and sewed it into the shape I wanted.
Epoxied the fur onto his head, signed it and sold it at our local Sun City West art fair.
I love learning from friends, classes, workshops, books, DVD's, tapes, TV and Internet, etc., but I have always struggled with "how can I put my own spin on this?" The following quote put it in perspective for me and maybe it will help you too.
Jim Jarmusch - “Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from - it’s where you take them to.”

No comments: