Friday, August 21, 2009

Art Unraveled

I received the above goodie bag upon registering at ArtUnraveled; an annual art gathering in Phoenix each August. It contained wonderful goodies from various vendors. The theme this year was "Moments" and the little black bird was stamped on various items throughout the week. I was inspired by the little black bird and made the below brooch from polymer to wear to my workshops.
Below is a detailed close up of the nest and eggs.
I was on a roll with the bird inspiration and made the below polymer clay brooch. For the background, I used a mokume gane technique I learned in Barbara McGuire's workshop. I am definitely signing up again for her classes at ArtUnraveled next August. I sculpted the branch, nest and black bird and added the turquoise fringe.
Above is a close up of the detail and below is on a blue background which helped the colors pop.
It's abstract, but not as much as the next brooch.
I know it's a stretch, but there are birds and nests in there. This brooch was sanded starting with a 250 grit and ending with a 2000 grit. It has a gorgeous shine similar to a polished agate. Anyway, ArtUnraveled was great fun and I can't wait until next year.

No comments: