Monday, July 20, 2009

Polymer Clay over Papier Mache'

This was an experiment in sculpting with polymer clay over papier-machẻ. I wondered how successful layering and sculpting would be. After blowing up a small balloon, then covering it with newspaper dipped in water & white glue, I let it dry for a couple of days. I repeated this process 3 times. I popped the balloon and started sculpting with some very old polymer clay over the papier-machẻ.
I never want to waste or throw out polymer clay if I think there is a remote chance of using it, so I had nothing to lose by giving this a try. I sculpted and built up the facial features layer by layer, baking each layer (according to the manufacturer’s recommendation). The eyes are glass and I used some acrylic paint to accent and age his skin. Because I used a lot of old clay, I decided to exaggerate the facial wrinkles, color and texture in case there was any discoloring or cracking later. But more so, he was a weathered, worn, "been through hell and back" character, so the exaggerated wrinkles defined him.
I placed a wig with a headband on him and thought, "Now what?" Now I had to get to work on how I was going to put together a body to go with this enormous head. I made the body out of PVC piping, polyester batting and old clothes. I sunk the PVC piping into boots that I had poured Plaster of Paris into and let it set. He stood almost 7’ tall.
I displayed my sculpture at an art show to draw people into my booth. Although I was not prepared for the amount of curious people. I had placed very large basket of my lower-priced beaded necklaces in his arms and draped several around his neck. I did a lot of talking about polymer clay and its many uses and sold a couple of necklaces, but I was shocked at the number of people who had not heard of polymer clay and they were just so fascinated.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Oh Marlene that is absolutely beautiful. The details are incredible.

Rhonda said...

Oh Marlene - how incredible and the detail is amazing.